Thursday 1 December 2011

Homeless Jared

This is a picture that I took of my friend Jared (He is in The War College with me) on our first night sleeping on the streets. At the start of our two day and two night experience when I asked Jared if he was scared or nervous he shrugged his shoulders and said "it is like camping in the city." I think he summed up how different out "adventure" was compared to someone who is trying to survive on the streets night in and night out with no end in sight. Our experiences was by no means all campfires and s'mores, but it was also not the hopeless, oppressive and dangerous existence that so many people are living (or rather dying) in every night.
This picture reminds me of the thoughts I had running through my mind that night as I lay in the dark park fearing that the copes would find us and kick us out, "Oh please don't let the cops bother us, I'm so tired, I just want to sleep, I'm not hurting anyone, no one is using this park right now, why can't we sleep here?" I only had to sleep in the cold (though not that cold, it was September) and fear for two nights, there are people who are sleeping out in the cold, alone, hopeless, sick, hurting and afraid right now! How are we going to help them?

No comments:

Post a Comment