Saturday 3 May 2014

Beyond the Books

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you

Taking a few moments this morning to sit in silence with the Lord I asked Jesus, "What it the one thing you want me to know?" and the answer pressed upon my mind was "That I love you, that you are my precious daughter." 

Although these are words that He repeats to me over and over again, any time I take a moment to listen, I am aware they have not yet taken root in my heart... 

As the Apostle Paul prays over the Ephesians:
17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love,18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19 (ESV)
That's it people, JESUS LOVES US, HE REALLY REALLY LOVES US! And it is only in being rooted and grounded in His love that we will be free, filled with the fullness of life, of God.

This is the message God has been repeating to me for the past 3 years, through a variety of means, and I believe it is truly the most important message, JESUS LOVES ME, I KNOW THIS FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO!  

Even with the understanding of the vital life giving truth that Jesus loves me, and the constant repeating of the message, I still fail to grasp the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge...

Recently I was sitting on a sun filled roof top with a friend and she was sharing how she need to take a break from school (we are both at Regent College studying theology) to know God outside of books, that although He is in the books, He is beyond the books...

I thought yup, that's it: we can have all the knowledge of God, and that is good, but it can only take us so far, GOD'S LOVE SURPASSES KNOWLEDGE!

I have a confession to make: this morning as I sat trying to be quite with the Lord listening to His repeated words of love, I quickly got restless, thinking yeah yeah OK I know you love me, and I opened up a book, in search of a word from the Lord that I could mediate on...

in the book I am reading (Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli) the story I read is about a women who is telling her boyfriend that she is a prostitute, this is obviously a very painful and vulnerable task, and as I started to read it I internally rolled my eyes thinking oh so cheesy I so know where this is going...  

after she tells him, he is weeping and whispering over and over again to her... 

I didn't even get to the words before I started bawling, as I heard Jesus' words to me through the man in the story

 "I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you ..."
My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away..." Song of Solomon 2:10 (ESV)
Jesus is calling to us, He is saying "Arise, my loves, my beautiful ones, and come away..." 

Will you listen to His call of love? Will you arise and come away with Him?

I know that I need to, I am desperate for His love, I am desperate to  be rooted and grounded in His love, I am desperate to have the strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and I am desperate to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that I may be filled with all the fullness of God... 

I AM DESPERATE FOR JESUS, UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY DESPERATE!

Oh help me Jesus, please help me, to stay always desperate for you, give me the courage to arise and to come away with you...



No comments:

Post a Comment