Monday 18 April 2011

Is that you God?

How do you know what the will of God is? How do you “hear” from God? How do you know when God is calling you?
These are age old questions that people have been discussing since, I imagine, the beginning of creation.  I don’t have the answers; I am just part of the discussion. Today I would like to contribute to the discussion my recent experience.
How do I know that I am in the will of God? How do I know that I am “hearing” God’s voice? How do I know that God is calling me to go live in the DTES for a year?
One day as I was sitting at my computer working on filling out an application for a job and the thought came to my mind “War College. Go to War College.” At the time I believed that this was the inaudible voice of God because it was an unexpected thought and I had not thought about The War College in about 2 years.  I didn’t want to base any decision on one thought, even if I believe it is the voice of God, so I started to pray and ask for confirmations. I asked God to give me confirmations in His written word. I asked God to put Bible verses in my path that would confirm what I believe He had spoken to me. Throughout the decision making process, through my own reading of the Word, people around me, Sunday Church service, and Bible studies I received many Bible verses that confirmed in my mind and heart that The War College was in line with God’s will. I also sought out wise council. I emailed and phoned my pastors, mentors, family and friends that I trusted and asked them to be praying for me, to check out The War College website and let me know what they thought about it. I talked it all over with my pastors, mentors and family. I received full support from my wise council, another confirmation that this was the will of God for me.  While doing all this I prayed, I spoke to God, I journaled, I told God what I was thinking and feeling, I asked Him to open and close the doors, and I asked Him to confirm it in my mind and heart. One door that God opened, was that I had a tight deadline to get my War College application completed so that I could receive a 10% discount, and I made the deadline.  Maybe one of the greatest confirmations was that when I went to RAW, with a handful of fears I came home with peace and excitement. This is not an exhaustive list, only a short sample of how God has confirmed in my mind and heart that I am in His will, that I did hear His voice and that He is calling me into the DTES.
How do you know what the will of God is? How have you “heard” from God? How is God calling you and how do you know?
I would really like to hear your stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment