Monday 25 April 2011

Losing My Life

Matthew 10: 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.
Matthew 16: 25"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
Mark 8: 35"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.
Luke 9: 24"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.
Luke 17: 33"Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.
John 12: 25"He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.
OK! I think I get the point: If I try and keep my own life, my ways of doing things, plans and ambitions I actually will not be truly living.  It is only when I surrender and give up my life, my way of doing things, my plans and my ambitions and let Jesus lead me in His way, His plans and His ambitions that I will be truly living.
In John 14:6 Jesus say that “He is the Way, and the Truth and the Life.” More and more I am trusting that He is really truly the Way the Truth and the Life. It is easy to say these words but difficult to trust and live out Jesus’ ways and His’ truths and His’ life, not my own.  
Going to War College is a step in faith as well as a testimony to the work Jesus is doing in my mind and heart. As I spend time with Jesus in prayer, praise and reading His Word, I am getting to know Him more intimately and I am learning that His ways are Truth and Life. As I let go of my ways of doing things, my plans and ambitions He is creating in me the desire to follow His ways. Moving to the DTES for a year to live and love among the some of the most  poor and broken of our society is not my way, but it is Jesus’ way and I am trusting that I will experience life and life to fullest as I walk with Jesus.
So, it is as I lose my life that I will I will actually find it? This sounds like foolishness, yet most of us have experienced it before. Think about how great you feel when you give a gift or you spend some time volunteering. You probably feel really great, right? This is just a small taste of giving up your life (time, money etc.) and finding a fulfilled life (fulfillment, joy, contentment etc.).  My challenged to you is to examine your own life, where are you holding onto your ways of doing things, your plans and your ambitions? My encouragement to you is to let go of your life and to pick up Jesus’ life, because He is the Way, the Truth and the LIFE! When you do this you will be truly living!

No comments:

Post a Comment