Tuesday 20 August 2013

They Deadly Lie

The world tells us that being busy is the best way to be.

It is a sort of badge of honor. To be busy is to be productive, useful and successful, and being stressed comes with being a hard working and responsible person... anything less then this is to be lazy, a slacker.

And guess what, as I am sure is no surprise to most of you, the church has not only bought into this destructive, deadly lie it has adopted it and created its own "holy" version!

I have fallen for the lie. I love to be busy busy busy... I love feeling stressed out (just as much as I hate it!). It gives me a feeling of self worth, and purpose to my life. If I am not busy, then what am I doing? I am proud to be known as someone who can work hard and play hard. I truly attribute my ability to the grace of God, because there have been times where I didn't think I could go on any longer, and God gave me the strength. Yet, I ignore his commandments to practice the Sabbath and to not worry (stress)...

Recently my body has been screaming at me to STOP! REST! NOW! God loves me sooo much, and he knows what is the best for me, so he has implemented the Sabbath and a not worrying (stressing) mandate.

Just as my body is telling me, so does the Bible. To not rest, to not practice Sabbath, to be stressed out is an active act of disobedience against God.

I am not yet sure how to work (because I do think God wants us to be good workers) and to rest well in him, that is what I am going to be meditating on over the next little while... but what I do know is that God is commanding us all to rest, trust and be still in Him...

stressed.
release us
into joy
into peace
into You
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment