Wednesday 27 July 2011

Caution - Narrow Road

Going for a walk in the lovely sunshine this afternoon and I came across these two road signs. They jumped out at me and spoke to me! Not literately of course, but man wouldn’t that make for a crazy story! Haha

I whipped out my handy incredible iPhone (this phone is truly the best phone I have ever had, it is extraordinary in all it can do!) and took these pictures, I then played with them on Instagram (soo cool!).

The two ideas that came to my mind (that the signs spoke to me! Haha) were about the “narrow road” and “counting the cost of discipleship.”

In Matthew 7:13-14 Jesus said “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

I heard Jesus say to me caution! this road that you have chosen in following me is narrow and difficult, don’t be surprised that you are experiencing troubles (twists and turns).

In Luke 14:28-33 Jesus talked about counting the cost of discipleship by saying “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’”

Jesus asked me “have you counted the costs of being my follower? Have you read the sign and heeded it? Or have you gone forward without caution and now that things are tough (narrow) you are getting frustrated?”
I have to be honest and tell you that I have gone forward in this journey of following Jesus with out taking the time to count the costs of being His disciple. When things have gotten tough I have given up, got frustrated with God, with myself, and with others. Now I see that Jesus warned (caution!) me that the road was narrow and that there would be twists and turns. I don’t think I would have made any other choice but to follow Jesus had I counted the costs, and heeded the warning. I think I may have just avoided some of the pitfalls (the ups and downs) because I would have slowed down, and kept my eyes a little more on the road (Jesus who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life).

Thank you Jesus for this revelation today, because it’s not too late!

You want to be walking the accurate way, right? You want to know the truth and nothing but the truth, right? You want to live, right? There will be many twists and turns, the road is narrow, and a difficult drive, buuuut it’s worth it! Because Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Time to slooow down and fix your eyes on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment