Monday 1 August 2011

It’s BC Day… Stop Whining!

Today is BC Day… whatever that means. I actually did google it and basically all this day means is a day off for us all to have fun in the sun (that finally decided to show up!) and recognize the pioneers of this province.
BC Day made me think of the recent Canada Day which got me reflecting on the many freedoms and luxuries we experience as Canadians.
I went for a walk, on my lunch break, in the warm sunshine with a fresh ocean breeze keeping it at a perfect temperature, and I praised God for the blessings of being born in Canada and even better yet Victoria. Not only do I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, I have a job, and I have a job that pays me a fair wage (despite how others might complain) and I get breaks! This is not the norm for much of the world. To many people do not have a job, and if they do have a job it is not fair pay and they don’t get breaks, they are over worked,  they are abused, they work in dangerous and deplorable conditions.
Do you have a job? Do you get paid a fair wage (I know you might not make as much as you want or it might not be a “living wage” in Canada, but try and keep it in perspective to the rest of the world)? Are your working conditions safe and workable? Do you get breaks?  Do you work 8-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week? * If you can answer yes to these questions be thankful! YOU ARE BLESSED!
Take sometime today to count your blessings, one by one.
*Note: I know that some of you do not have a job, and I am not taking that lightly, but even without a job, living in this country with the opportunities that it offers you, you are blessed. For those of you who are underpaid, over worked and are working in poor conditions, I ask are you self-employed and/or are you choosing to be in this situation? I know that there are injustices that are happening right here in Canada, but I think that we need to keep them in perspective with the rest of the world. I am not saying we should disregard the injustices in Canada. We do need to remember that while injustices do occur, I believe that the opportunities we have for justice far out way the injustices and the situation is far more hopeful than much of the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment